Center for Science Excellence
The Center for Science Excellence, a 2001 Presidential (White House) Award winning program, resides within the Natural, Social and Applied Sciences Division (NSAS) at Contra Costa College.
The Center for Science Excellence program provides academic support for students majoring in biological, computer and physical science, technology, mathematics or engineering (STEM fields) at the college. In its thirteenth year, Center for Science Excellence has received grants of $2.5 million from the Army Research Office, $1.8 million from National Science Foundation (NSF), $600K from Department of Education (DoEd) and $240K from the University of California Office of President MESA program (UCOP-MESA).
- Provide students with strong academic support in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM)
- Prepare students for a seamless transfer process into universities
- Provide academic breadth experience via seminars, academic trips, and summer internships
In order to fully benefit from all the services offered by the Center for Science Excellence, a student must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- US citizen/permanent resident
- Full-time student at Contra Costa College
- Eligibility for financial aid or BOG fee waiver preferred
- Minimum 3.0 GPA
- Major in STEM, planning to earn certifications, bachelor’s degree in STEM field.
- Participate in all activities sponsored by the Center for Science Excellence (workshops, seminars, tutoring, and weekly mentor meetings)
If you meet all the above requirements, please pick up the application online or from our Center for Science Excellence office, and submit the following supporting documents:
- Proof of Financial aid or Board of Governors fee waiver (if eligible)
- Educational plan signed by a counselor
- Unofficial Transcript
- Letter of Recommendation from a STEM professor
- Personal Statement Program